Blogging and Praying that I never forget these days . . . .

Losing our Bull

October 18, 2012
 
On Thursday we lost another important man in our family.  My Grandaddy Bull left his frail earthly body for his eternal home in heaven.  We knew that Bull was getting weaker and weaker as his ability to swallow had become compromised in the last few weeks.  It is so hard to let someone go that has been a part of your entire life.  When the day came I was so blessed to be able to be there with Nanny Margaret to hold his hand.  It calmed my soul to support him as he made the great transition.  It was amazing to witness the peace that overcomes a struggling body as they enter into heaven.  Bull and Nanny Mary were very influential people in my life.  I attribute my love of gardening, my study skills, and many other qualities to my grandparents.  As you can see in the picture below, my Dad included some of Bull's green beans that were still on the vine into his flowers.   
 
 
 



 
William Benjamin Parsons better known as “Bill” passed from this earth, Thursday, October 18, 2012 at the age of 90. He served in the US Army as a tech-sergeant from October 1942 until December 1945 in the Philippines, New Guinea, and Australia. He retired from Genesco several times and was one of the few who knew about good leather so his expertise was needed. He served this company for 50 years in Pulaski, Tullahoma, Gallatin, and Nashville as a cutting room manager. He was a long time member of the First Methodist Church of Gallatin. Bill enjoyed many years of fishing and hunting with his sons and grandchildren. He is preceded in death my his first wife Mary Frances Harwell Parsons, two brothers Campbell and Herbert Parsons, and three sisters Bessie Wynne, Inez Davis, and Lillian Hickman Wilson. He leaves his wife Margaret Carden Parsons, sons Tony (Linda) Parsons of Jackson, TN, Rand (Ann) Parsons of Gallatin, brother Gene (Ester) Parsons of Lewisburg, grandchildren Tony Parsons, Jr., Christina (Mark) McAlexander, Ryan (Jenna) Parsons, Jessica (Jay) Kelly, Joshua (Holly) Parsons, Jonathan (Josie) Parsons and eleven great-grandchildren with one on the way, that affectionately called him “Bull”. Funeral service will be Saturday, October 20 at 1030 a.m. from the chapel of Family Heritage Funeral Home with Reverend Jerry Wallace and Reverend Malcolm Patton officiating. Graveside services will follow in Maplewood Cemetery in Pulaski, TN with Tony Parsons, Jr., Ryan Parsons, Jay Kelly, Jon Parsons, Josh Parsons, Tyler Parsons, Noah Parsons, Zak McAlexander, Nathan McAlexander, Max Kelly, Reid Parsons, and Jack McAlexander serving as pallbearers. Visitation will be Saturday, October 20 from 9 a.m. until time of service. In lieu of flowers, the family requests donations are made to the New Children Playground at the First Methodist Church, 149 W. Main Street, Gallatin 37066.
 
 
Years before Bull became weak in his earthly body he voiced that I speak at his funeral.  As you know, I am not a public speaker.  I will do a whole project by myself if someone else will do the presentation portion.  I grew up cheering and performing to crowds, but I do not like to talk alone.  As the day grew near for the funeral I feared what I was going to speak about to my family.  Luckily, I had just recited a poem at Pa's funeral two weeks earlier.  I really liked that poem so I decided to just use it for both my grandfathers.  I changed the words around to use our affectionate name of "Bull" when I spoke of him.  As I stood to speak at the funeral, Max decided to stand with me.  He wanted to talk about how special Bull was to him, but he got too nervous when it was time.  Instead he stood beside me to help me get through my poem.  He was great support as he touched my leg when I paused between lines to pull myself together. 

For My Grandpa Bull


© Ilona Blake

I know we are all feeling a little bit sad,
That we've lost our Bull, our friend and our dad
Together we have cried an ocean of tears
As we feel so empty and hold many fears

But Bull would want us to know he's in a good place
And that he watching us all with a smile on his face
As we have made him so proud, as proud as can be
That he has raised such a beautiful and special family

Thinking back now I really must say
I feel lucky and privileged to have known Bull to this day
For in my life, you have played a special part
The memories I will treasure and keep close to your heart

For me I am glad my little babies he got to meet
And for all of us, be grateful, his life is now complete
To each one of us he has loved and cared
And a family, be thankful for the good times we shared

Although he has gone we will always be together
And his spirit will live on each one of us forever
When you look to the sky, look for the brightest star
As that will be Bull looking down on us from afar

And now I would like to thank the good Lord above
For blessing us with our Bull with his kindness and love
Dear God, if it is not too much fuss
Take extra special care of our Bull as he is very dear to us

Bull if you are listening say a prayer for us every day
Be sure to protect us and guide us on our way
We know when God called you, you had to go
But we want you to know Bull we miss you and love you so

Source: Death Of Grandfather, For My Grandpa, Grandfather Death Poem http://www.familyfriendpoems.com/poem/death-of-my-grandfather#ixzz29ad8HSdV
www.FamilyFriendPoems.com 

No comments:


Go Flames